Buddha Airlines, a family owned company, located in Jawalakhel, Lalitpur, run its operation on October 11, 1997. It started with one Beechcraft 1900D, six commanders and six co – pilots with the realisation for the need of safe air transport for the people to travel in between the terrain from the flat lands of the Terai, the rugged hills and the tall mountains. With the dedication of the three proprietors/ promoters namely, Mr Surendra Bahadur Basnet (Chairman), Mr Birendra Bahadur Basnet (Managing Director) and Mrs Sunita Sijapati Basnet (Promoter), the airlines have been able to expand its service with its two Beechcraft 1900D, three ATR 43 and three ATR 72. Originally from an agricultural background, Mr Birendra Basnet thought of serving the community in the same field, so he helped farmers from Morang and established a farmer’s cooperative there.
Buddha Airlines has been awarded IPMA Project Excellence Award and has been recognised by Government of Nepal, Canada Corporation, Pacific Asia Travel Association and UN for its performance, services, safety and for maintaining a relationship with these associations. It ensures the best service to its customers with the safest, most reliable and comfortable means of transportation.
Buddha Airlines services
- Pratt and Whitney sponsor fleet maintenance and manpower plan to Buddha Aircraft and ensures 100% quality maintenance. Meanwhile, the leading insurance broker in the Lloyds market handles the insurance of the airline.
- Buddha Air provides flights to 13 destinations within Nepal.
- Comfortable buses are there to transport passengers from the terminal to the aircraft.
- It provides an immediate refund on demand to passengers in case of flight cancellation due to bad weather as well as wheelchairs or portable oxygen cylinders upon urgency and request.
- The unaccompanied underage children are taken care of by the airport staff in the terminal and by the flight steward in the aircraft.
- Non- alcoholic drinks are served to passengers on flights and are provided with the latest national dailies and Yatra.
- It provides cargo services to passengers.
- Through Buddha Holidays, the airline provides assistance in planning and organising holiday trip to passengers in Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet.
- It offers Royal Club Frequent Flyer program to its valued customers where they can earn points and can redeem for larger benefits like a free flight to qualifying destinations or holiday at hotels and resorts.
Buddha Airlines has been executing these services with the help of various departments like operations department, technical department, marketing, sales and ground handling department, management information system, finance department, human resource department and general service department. The smooth co- ordination and cooperation between these departments and proprietors have made it possible for the smooth functioning of the company.
Flight details of Buddha Airlines
Buddha Air flies over 13 domestic and international destinations. Kathmandu is the only city that has direct international air links and is connected to all the domestic airports as well. Below are the flight details from Kathmandu Airport to airport of various other cities of Nepal:
|S.N.||FLIGHTS||DISTANCE BETWEEN TWO PLACES||ATTRACTION|
|1||Kathmandu-Bhadrapur||50 minutes||· Start point for treks to the eastern Himalaya|
· Bhadrapur town is 40 km away from the Indian border of Siliguri.
|2||Kathmandu-Bhairahawa||45 minutes||· Lumbini is less than 30 minutes away from Bhairahawa town.|
· The town is growing at speed as a trade centre due to its closeness to the Indian border.
|3||Kathmandu-Biratnagar||40 minutes||· The town is popular for varied cultures and ethnic groups.|
· The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve, supported by Nepal’s largest river Sapta Koshi, can be reached within 2 hours drive from the town.
· The town is one of the main entry points to Nepal.
|4||Kathmandu-Bharatpur||20 minutes||· The town is one of the most facilitated areas in Nepal with various modern hospitals.|
· It is next to Chitwan National Park.
|5||Kathmandu-Dhangadi||1 hour 20 minutes||· The town is popular for Shuklaphanta Natural Park and the Ghoda Good Water Shed Reserve.|
· It is one of the main hubs of far western Nepal.
|6||Kathmandu-Pokhara||30 minutes||· The seven big and small lakes, Mt. Machhapuchre, Phewa Lake, Annapurna Circuit Trek and varied white water rafting expeditions are some attractions of Pokhara.|
· There are six daily flights to Pokhara from Kathmandu.
· The Airline offers online ticketing facility for booking and purchasing flights to Pokhara and online payment through Paypal and Credit cards.
|7||Kathmandu-Simara||15 minutes||· Simara Airport is 30 minutes drive to the industrial and commercial city of Birgunj.|
|8||Kathmandu-Nepalgunj||1 hour||· The town is popular for its growing commercial hub and also a beginning point of a trek to the far west and north-west.|
· It takes 5 hours to drive to Lucknow from Nepalgunj.
· The town is an entrance to the Wild West.
|9||Kathmandu-Janakpur||25 minutes||· Ram Janaki Temple is an attraction for thousands of Hindu pilgrims every year.|
· The town is popular for Mithila art and craft.
|10||Kathmandu-Tumlingtar||· The city is the only source to visit Makalu peak through airways.|
· Manakamana is located 2.5 km north of Tumlingtar Airport.
Normal fare for different places
The flight fare of Buddha Airways is different based on the destination place whether it be national or international flight which are discussed below:
Buddha Airlines FARE OF DOMESTIC FLIGHTS
|S.N.||FLIGHTS||ADULT FARE (USD)||FUEL CHARGE (USD)||PSC (USD)||TOTAL FARE (USD)|
Buddha Airlines FARE OF INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT
(KATHMANDU- VARANASI )
|TYPE||NATIONALITY||FARE||YQ(FUEL SURCHARGE)||NP(TRIBHUVAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TAX)||NQ (TOURISM BOARD TAX)||BG||TOTAL FARE|
|NORMAL “Y”||Indian IC||12450||1225||494||707||625||15501|
|APEX “A”||Indian IC||4500||1225||494||707||625||7551|
|BRAVO “B”||Indian IC||2900||1225||494||707||625||5951|
|DELTA “D”||Indian IC||1000||1225||494||707||625||4051|
|CHARLIE “C”||Indian IC||500||1225||494||707||625||3551|
|TYPE||NATIONALITY||FARE||YQ(FUEL SURCHARGE)||JN(INDIAN GOVERNMENT TAX)||IN (USER DEVELOPMENT FEE)||WO (AIRPORT TAX)||TOTAL FARE|
|NORMAL “Y”||Indian IC||12450||1225||676||975||229||15555|
|APEX “A”||Indian IC||4500||1225||283||975||229||7212|
|BRAVO “B”||Indian IC||2900||1225||204||975||229||5533|
|DELTA “D”||Indian IC||1000||1225||110||975||229||3539|
|CHARLIE “C”||Indian IC||500||1225||85||975||229||3014|
How to book Buddha Airlines flight
People can book their tickets online or visit the office for it. As soon as you open the homepage of the website, you will see the “Book Flight Online” option at the left. There is an option for one-way ticket or round trip ticket. In one way ticket, passengers will book the departure ticket only while they will book both departure and return ticket in round trip. Passengers will just fill up the boxes regarding nationality, passenger numbers, departure date and start and the end destination in one way reservation. While they have to fill the boxes for nationality, passenger numbers, departure and return date and start and the end destination in round trip process. In both processes, they will have to click “check availability” button where they will be provided information about different options for departing and return flight with different flight no. , departure and arrival time, fare type and fare cost. They have to select one of them, and as per their selection, the individual departing and return fare along with the total fare will be shown below. They will have to click the “continue” button for further process.
After then, passenger needs to list out their personal details like name, nationality, card holder name, contact number, email address and move on to next process by clicking continue button. Furthermore, you will click “proceed for payment” on the next new page which will then direct you to a page where you will have to choose an Esewa option for the payment. You will then fill the login details of esewa and submit it. In the last process, you will be provided with Buddha Airlines eticket.
Process of checking Buddha Air Flight Schedules
The website is very user-friendly as you can check the available domestic as well as international schedules with just a few clicks. In the homepage of Buddha Air, you can see the “Flight schedule” section at the top. As soon as you move the mouse cursor towards it, the domestic and international options approach. You will then click the required button where you will have to fill three boxes namely, “from”, “to” and “flight date”. After clicking the search button, the details regarding “flight no.”, “departure time” and “arrival time” appears for the required sectors.