Before choosing any university overseas for the study, you need to dig up a lot of information about the university. Studying overseas becomes simplified if you have information about how the system works there. So, finally you have chosen a university, completed all the processes and are granted student visa to study at the university to gain the educational degree, may it be Bachelor, Master or Doctorate. However, sometimes there comes up some circumstances that you wish to go for changing university. The reason might be that the course is too difficult for you. Many students wish to change university as you want to study in another part of the country because of your convenience or the reasons might be any. What would you do then? How do you change the university? Here we will provide you information about how changing university in Australia is possible.

Changing University in Australia Process

Changing university in Australia may be a tedious task to you if you are there on your own. The process might become a little easier if you know how it is done. First, you need to know about certain terms like Principal course, restricted period, CoE, DIBP. Principal course is the main and usually the final course of the study for which the student has received CoE to undertake multiple courses. Restricted period means the first 6 months of study of the principal course. CoE is Confirmation of Enrolment. DIBP is the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

changing university australia

Every university in Australia has their own transfer policies. You must be aware of that first. To get to know more about this, you can consult with the student advisors. The student advisors are located in the student hubs on campus. They solve your queries and provide you the right direction in your enrolment pattern. Booking an appointment with them to know about changing university is the foremost thing that you should do.

You should get full information about the new university that you want to go. After you get the offer letter from there, you have to inform your current university. However, if you are in your restricted period you must apply for the letter of release in your current university. It is the Australian Government Requirement. In the application, you need to include the statement of reasons for the release request, documentations supporting your request and offer letter from another university that you want to go to. Your university will consider your application and may or may not grant the release. If your application is refused, you have the right to approach the internal appeal process. If you are unsatisfied even then, you can approach external complaints handling bodies such as State or territory Ombudsman or Overseas Students Ombudsman. If you have completed more than 6 months of your principal course, transfer is possible without the release letter.

After being granted the letter of release, you need to formally withdraw from your courses in your current university. Then, you should accept the offer letter from your new university and then you will be provided with a new CoE certificate. You should then take the new confirmation of enrolment certificate to your nearest DIBP office to inform them about your transfer and to ascertain the new visa requirement. It is because there should be a continuation to meet the requirements of the specific student visa that you have been granted.

Before deciding on changing university, you need to make sure that your new choice meets your needs. You can get a lot of information by speaking to student advisors and the current students in the new university. So, it might be now a lot easier to you as you have known basic things about changing university in Australia. You can also read Changing course in Australia between the same university.