Curriculum Development centre known as CDC is an academic centre established under the Ministry of Education. It is established with an aim to develop the curriculum, courses and textbooks, educational tools for the school to achieve the national goal in education. For this, it organises annual discussion, interactions, seminars and programs to make school education relevant, practical and competitive. It was established as Curriculum, textbooks and supervision centre in 1971 and later on 1997, it was renamed as Curriculum development centre.
It is led by Gazetted I class officer as the Executive officer along with the centre team of 60 member form both technical and administrative sections. It is located at Sanothimi, Bhaktapur.
The main vision of CDC is to develop the appropriate curricula, textbooks and instructional materials required for the job oriented student centred, practical, life skills oriented, vocational, competitive and qualitative school education.
It has the following objectives as per included in www.moecdc.gov.np
- To prepare patriotic and job-oriented human resources from school education to develop nation.
- Develop, revise and improve school curricula and textbooks and implement them.
- Develop, disseminate, and distribute instructional materials such as: curricula, teacher’s guides, teacher resource materials and children’s reference materials.
- Provide certificate of equivalence for the secondary level school education completion certificates awarded by foreign schools/institutions or boards.
- Design and implement co-curricular activities.
- Conduct research programs related to school education.
- Assist Government of Nepal/Ministry of Education in formulating curricula and textbooks policies.
- Design programs to conduct workshops, seminars at national as well as international levels with an aim to establish CDC as an academic centre.
- Assist and coordinate national as well as foreign educational institutions in compliance with the existing rules and policy.
- Develop and update Curriculum Framework to maintain consistency and coordination among pre-primary, primary and secondary level educations.
- Find out and implement various techniques to assess curricula as well as students.
- Carry out the CDC programs involving other line agencies/organizations.
- Utilize the latest knowledge, skills and technology available so far.
- Include and transfer indigenous technology.
- Develop, pilot, update, revise and implement school curricula as per existing rules and regulations.
- Develop, pilot, update, revise and implement school curricula and curricular materials.
- List and publicize additional instructional materials.
- Make necessary provision for conducting school level co-curricular activities, assist and facilitate them.
- Conduct research studies on curricula and text books.
- Develop and distribute reference materials as required.
- Function as the secretariat of National Curriculum Development and Assessment Council.
- Disseminate curricula and curricula related materials developed by CDC.
- Provide certificate of equivalence for the Secondary level school education completion certificates awarded by foreign schools/institutions or boards.
- Carry out activities related to curriculum and students’ assessment.
- Exploit latest knowledge, skills and technology used so far in education.
- Promote and transfer the indigenous knowledge, skills and technology.
- Specify the benchmarks of learning achievement.
- Involve and coordinate private sectors, civil society and local organizations in curricular activities.
- Receive/record feedbacks related to school curricula from the group of subject wise academicians, as well as concerned institutions or persons.