Government of Nepal (GON) has recently introduced the system of digital number plate in vehicles (Embossed Number plates in Nepal); the embossed number plating system for vehicles. Embossed Number plate form is available online. You can fill Embossed number plates form online. Since it’s a new technology it will create a short-term inconvenience in lot of people but it has very good effect in long term. GON has made a very big investment in the implementation of this system and is positive that it will give a good payback in terms of security in future. Government of Nepal aims to use this system in 2.5 million vehicles within 5 year’s time period ,however this system isn’t compulsory for those who already have a number plate.Even though the process of getting one seems tedious the future benefit is actually worth it.
How to Apply Embossed Number plate?
Here is the detailed instruction on how to get a embossed number plate:
Recently ,the plates are being distributed only from Bagmati transport Management office (BTMO), Ekantakuna,Lalitpur.
- Step 1: Deposit the fee for registration in Rastriya Banijya Bank.The fee for different kind of vehicles is allocated as:
|Vehicle size||Cost of Embossed number plate in (Rs)|
|Three wheeler (Tampo)||2900|
|Heavy weight four wheelers(Buses,lorry)||3600|
- Fill up required forms from the website of department of transport management: dotm.gov.np then download and print the completed form.
- Submit the printed form along with required documents and the bank voucher in BTO.You will receive a SMS regarding your form approval,visit the BTO for your Biometric.
- After approval of form you will receive a notification about your number plate being ready ,visit the BTO and collect your embossed number plate.
- Visit the transportation department to use the number plate in your vehicle.
Color and Size of Embossed Number Plates Nepal
The design of number plate is similar to international design but has flag of Nepal on the top left and the state number will be written in the top center of the plate.The number plates are divided into 5 categories namely: President vehicle, Government vehicle, Diplomatic, Public and Private vehicle. The colour combination is of 5 types according to types of number plates:
Colour coding of number plate of vehicles in Nepal
- President vehicle: white number plates with number and letters written in red ,similar colour combination is used for Government vehicles
- Vehicles of diplomats:white number plates with number and letters written in blue
- Public vehicles: yellow number plates with letters and numbers written in black colour
- Private vehicles: white number plates with number and letters written in black.
The new system of number plate has reduced the type of number plates to 5 from 23 different categories.
The front number plate is a bit longer than the back number plate which is rectangular in shape.The sizes of number plates according to the type of vehicles is fixed as below :
|Types of vehicles||Size (in mm)|
|Light weighted four wheelers||430*110|
|Heavy four wheelers||520*110|