Hospitals are the health care institutions that provide treatment and healthcare services to the patients with maladies by using specialised medical equipment and procedures by the skilful health care staffs. Hospitals may either be general ones or specialised in any certain categories like rehabilitation hospitals, children’s hospitals, geriatric hospitals, trauma hospitals, etc. The support units of hospitals include a pharmacy, pathology, radiology, etc. There are many hospitals in Nepal as well to deliver health care services to the public. Among them, some are the Nepal hospitals which provide excellent quality of health care to the people and thus are popular among them. Some of these hospitals are listed below.
Top 10 Hospitals in Nepal, Nepal Hospitals providing good service
- Bir Hospital: It is the first hospital of Nepal established in 1889. It is located in the centre of Kathmandu. Currently, it has a capacity of 535 beds and is one of the busiest hospitals in Nepal. It provides all medical and surgical treatments. It is the first government-owned Nepal hospitals providing service to the public.
- Dhulikhel Hospital: Dhulikhel Hospital lies in Dhulikhel, Kavrepalanchowk, about 30 km northeast of the capital, Kathmandu. It was established in 1996 and is a not for profit, non-governmental health institution. It provides cost-effective health services to the patients. The hospital services are unique to other Nepal hospitals which include emergency, surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, psychiatry, physiotherapy, dermatology, ophthalmology, dental, ENT, orthopaedics and traumatology, forensics and medical toxicology, laboratory services, diagnostic services and pharmacy.
- Shahid Gangalal National Heart Centre: It was founded in 1995 and was named after the martyr of Nepal, Gangalal Shrestha. This is the first cardiac tertiary centre in Nepal and provides specialised health services in the field of Cardiology (non-invasive cardiology and interventional cardiology) and cardiac surgery (Coronary revascularization, valve surgery, congenital heart repair and aortic aneurysm repair).
- Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital: It was established in 1983. It is the largest hospital in Nepal and provides tertiary level health care to the general public. With TUTH, the evolution in medical education had embarked. It consists of the largest number of medical specialities with 22 departments. The medical services provided to the people range from basic medical and surgical problems to open heart surgery and kidney transplant. Teaching hospital is also regarded as the best hospitals among other Nepal hospitals.
- P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital (BPKMCH): It is a non-profit hospital located in Chitwan, Nepal. It is one of the few specialised hospitals present outside Kathmandu Valley. It was founded in December 1994. It is the national cancer institute of Nepal that deals with prevention, diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and research of cancer. There are different departments to provide these services to the patients like medical and oncology department, in the patient ward, chemotherapy services, surgical oncology, radiological oncology, pathology department, laboratory department, etc.
- Kathmandu Medical College Teaching Hospital (KMCTH): Established in 1997, it is situated in Sinamangal and is easily accessible as it is near the airport of Nepal. It consists of 900 beds. It provides 24-hour emergency services, pathology services and X-ray services. There are various other diagnostic services available. Fully equipped ICU, NICU, PICU and CCU are available.
- Kanti Children’s Hospital: It is a specialised paediatric hospital established in 1963 and located in Maharajgunj, Kathmandu. It has a capacity of 350 beds. It deals with all kinds of health problems related to children. Special wards are available for specific cases like burn ward, oncology ward, cardiac ward, PICU, NICU, SICU, NIMCU and postoperative ward.
- Mental Hospital Lagankhel: Since mental health is highly overlooked and neglected in the context of Nepal, mental health services was unknown until 1961 AD. Mental Hospital Lagankhel was established in 1985 as a result of shifting of psychiatry department from Bir Hospital. It provides mental health services for the optimum mental health in the general people.
- Nepal Orthopedic Hospital: It was established in 1998 with the aim of providing best quality services regarding orthopaedic services at an affordable price so that everyone can access it. With different updated equipment and medical team, it has been providing best orthopaedic services to the people at present.
- Tilganga Eye Hospital: It is the hospital which is highly recognised for its services in ophthalmic problems, established in 1994 with the main aim to prevent and control blindness in Nepal. It is located in Gaushala, Kathmandu. It provides specialised ophthalmic services through its different departments. It works in collaboration with all other eye care centres and organisations of Nepal.