IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is a measure of language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is the major language of communication. It is based on band scale with non-user (band score 1) through to expert (band score 9).
Generally, there are two types of IELTS test. They are:
- IELTS Academic Test: For applicants applying for higher studies or professional registration
- IELTS General training: For applicants migrating to Australia, Canada, UK or for secondary education, training programme and work experience in English speaking environment.
It has four skill tests. They are listening, reading, writing and speaking. The total test time is 2 hrs 45 minutes and each skill tests have fixed time duration as given below:
Listening: 30 minutes
Reading: 60 minutes
Writing: 60 minutes
Speaking: 11-14 minutes
IELTS score are based on 9 band scale. The following information is taken from www.ielts.org
|Band score||Skill level||Description|
|9||Expert user||It shows full operational command of the English language. Appropriate, accurate and fluent in English and shows complete understanding.|
|8||Very good user||It shows full operational command with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriate usage. May misunderstand some things in unfamiliar situations. Can handle complex and detailed argumentation well.|
|7||Good user||It indicates that the test taker has operational command of the language. Generally handle complex language well and understand the detailed reasoning.|
|6||Competent user||It shows an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage, and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language.|
|5||Modest user||It shows the test taker has a partial command of the language and copes with overall meaning in most situations. The test taker is able to handle basic communication in their own field.|
|4||Limited user||The test taker is limited to familiar situations. Able to use complex language.|
|3||Extremely limited user||Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Frequent breakdowns in communication.|
|2||Intermittent user||Great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.|
|1||Non-user||No ability to use the language except a few isolated words.|
|0||Did not attempt the test||Did not answer the questions.|
IELTS result is valid for 2 years. IELTS is accepted by over 9000 organizations all over the world as a proof of language ability. IELTS Test is offered in over 1100 locations over 140 countries. It is a paper based test. Its result is available within 13 days.
How to register for IELTS test?
- First, find the nearest IELTS test location in your place. For this simply go to ielts.org and identify the test location near you.
- You can register and pay online. In addition, you can download the form, print it, complete the form and submit to your local test centre. Remember that you need to provide a copy of your valid identification. It may be your passport.
- Finally, you will receive the confirmation of the date and time of your test.
Please visit www.ielts.org for more detail. You can also comment below for any information you need to know. We will try our best to provide you the relevant informations.