Domain name is usually 2-3 characters separated by a period “.” that points to a particular computer network such as the internet. It is a set according to the standard DNS (Domain Name System). DNS is the address book of the internet and domain names operate under it. In the DNS structure, Top Level Domains (TLD) are at the highest level. It also has different types. Among its types is ccTLD (country code Top Level Domain). ccTLD consists of 2 letters set for particular geographical location. For example: .np is for Nepal, .au is for Australia. The next type is gTLD (generic Top Level Domain) whose examples are .com, .net, .biz, .org, .info, etc. Free .com.np domain, Internet ccTLD of Nepal was introduced in 1995. Registration service for the .np domain is provided free of charge by Mercantile Communication Pvt. Ltd.
Criteria for .com.np domain registration
For .np domain registration, there are two criteria which must be fulfilled by you:
- Local presence: You must be in Nepal when you are registering for the domain.
- Name: The domain name must be directly linked to your name if it is for personal use and must be based on the name of company, organisation or brand names if it is for the business use.
Step by Step process to register free com.np domain name in Nepal
The registration process is amended now and is easier too. To register for the .np domain, just follow the following steps:
- Go to your browser and go to register.mos.com.np which is Nepal’s official page for .np domain registration.
- You will then see empty fields which need to be filled as per your information.
- You will have to provide information regarding the domain name, full name, e-mail address, contact number, address, and primary and secondary name server. You will have no problem providing this information. For the domain name, use your name or the company’s name. Provide your full address in the respective field. Primary and secondary name server is required so that you can host your web page in WWW (World Wide Web). There are many free web hosting services that you can find. You can use their primary and secondary name servers. If you are confused, just enter NS01.000WEBHOST.com in the primary name server and NS02.000WEBHOST.com in the secondary name server. 000Webhost is the company that has been providing free web hosting services and is very popular as well.
- Then you will have to upload a file for the verification. The size must be <800 KB. So, you should have a scanned copy of your required documents beforehand. For personal domain, you can use your citizenship card, license card or passport. For organisation domain, you should have documents regarding registration of the company/organisation, citizenship and application for requesting domain in the company’s letter pad.
- After you have uploaded all the required documentation, click on request.
- A new dialogue box opens, written “Success= Thank you for requesting domain name”.
- It takes a few days to activate the domain name. You will be sent a mail to your email address via Mercantile to let you know if your domain is approved or not.