Nepali Gotra is important when girl and boy get married. The boy and girl from same Gotra can not marry according to Hindu religion. It is believed that they have same ancestors. So, boy and girl of same gotra can be regarded as brother and sister. Scientifically, Marriage between same Gotra may result infertility and serious diseases.
Gotra is based on surname of a person. The first image shown in the picture shows Nepali Gotra. If your surname is not listed in this image, you can jump down to the text letters.
Some more Gotra in Hindu Religion
- ANGIRAS: Joshi, Sedai, Saunak
- AGASTI: Dhungel
- ATRI: Chapagai, Wosti, Mishra, Khatiwada, Ojha, Adhikari, Gotame, Kshatri Malla, Pahari
- ATREYA: Paudel, Devkota, Pokhrel (pani), Kalikote, Sharma, Aryal, Sigdel, Bagale Thapa
- UPAMANYU: Mainali, Dhakal, Bartaula, Bhatta (Duwal), Pandey
- KASYAP: Shah, Sahi, Rayamajhi, Ghimire, Godhar (Thapa), Kathayat, Gartaula, Adhikari (Bhadare, Khilchine and Kaubali), Bogati, Budhathoki (Sodari), Badaal.
- KAUDINYA: Achraya, Neupane, Pakurel, Paneru, Sapkota, Satyal, Marashini, Parajuli, Baskota, Trital, Khadka, Thapa Gamle and Bagale, Joshi. (Some Sapkota are Kautinya gotra)
- KAUSHIK: Regmi/Gaudel, Khapatari (Khadka, Bistha, Budhathoki and Basnet), Khadka, Bidari, Rimal, Lamichhane, Dhungana, Dhital, Phuyal, Tiwari, Majhi, Luitel, Pudasaini, Baniya, Raghubansi, Bhandari, Bastakoti.
- GARGA: Bastola, Lamichhane, Bhurtel, Gajurel
- GAUTAM: Chanda, Tripathi
- GHRITAKAUSHIK: Sutar, Karki, Baral, Pandit, Khanal, Nepal, Baraily
- MANDABYA: Bajagai, Gyawali, Panthi, Bajhai
- DHANANJAYA: Kunwar, Humagai, Rijal, Karki, Thapa, Pangeni, Basel, Kukurkote, Dhamala, Guragai, Khulal; Basnet, Bhusal, Khulal (Budhathoki), Gauripitri.
- PARASAR: Marhattha, Karki, Kattel, Dev, Raila
- BHARADWAJ: Chaulagai, Subedi, Thapaliya, Panthi, Upadhaya, Wagle, Lohani, Pantha, Adhikari, Dudhpokhrel, Siwakoti, Devkota, Niraula, Jamarkattel, Pandey, Rajopadhyay.
- MAUDAGALYA: Timsina, Timilsina, Koirala, Upreti, Mudula, Karki, Rume, Kuinkel, Simkhada, Belkadhi
- VASTH: Rana, Lamsal, Kunwar, Dahal, Ruphakheti Dahal.
- BASISTHA: Suyal (garthi), Raut, Bhattarai, Suyal (Thapa), Dwadi, Thangsine, Bhandari, Kharel, Chalise, Mudabhari, Gaire, Kharel, Thansinge Bhandari, Paneru (some Kaudinya gotra).
- BISHWAMITRA: Bhatta ( Alina, Duwadi, Nirbansi, Rayal, Rai, Mukhiya (Sunuwar)
If you are confused of your Nepali gotra, you can comment us in the comment section below. If your Gotra is not listed above, you can ask in the comment section below.