Nepal is a small landlocked country with an area of 147,181 square Km. Though the country is small, the population in the country is large. Nepal population is more than 29 million with the population density being 204 per km2. Thus, the large population requires many resources for their livelihood. Many of these products are imported from other countries. However, there are some multinational companies in Nepal which help to fulfil the demand of various resources.
What actually Multinational company in Nepal means?
Multinational companies, as the name suggests are the companies whose ownership and control are not limited to a single country. These companies are managed in more than one place within and outside the country. The country where the company originated is the parent country, and the other countries except the parent country are subsidiaries or host countries. Distribution of goods in those countries is operated by the subsidiary companies which has resulted in the globalisation of business.
Top Multinational Companies in Nepal
With time, urbanisation is increasing in Nepal as well and so is the industrialisation. As such, there exist many multinational companies in Nepal as well which have been providing their services. Some of the multinational companies of Nepal are:
- Unilever Nepal Limited (UNL): It is the Nepali subsidiary company of Anglo-Dutch FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) Company Unilever. Its headquarter is located in Makwanpur, Nepal. This company provides products like foods, beverages, cleaning agents, personal care products of more than 400 brands. Seven out of every ten households around the world use at least one product from the brands of Unilever. Unilever has constantly been bringing new and world class products like Lux, Sunsilk, Close Up, Fair and Lovely for the Nepalese people to use in their daily lives. UNL is one of the largest personal care companies in South Asia.
- Bottlers Nepal Limited (BNL): It is the only bottler of Coca-Cola range of products in Nepal. Coca-cola was first imported in Nepal from India in 1973. The initial local production of Coca-Cola in Nepal began in 1979. There are two bottling plants of Coca-Cola in Nepal, in Kathmandu and Bharatpur. It has acquired different market sales and distribution strategies. These strategies are customised to suit the local people’s sentiments. It is one of the leading organisations in Nepal and is promoted by The Khetan Group. It operates as a subsidiary of Coca-Cola Singapore Pte. Ltd.
- Chaudhary Group: It is the private multinational company of Nepal founded in 1968. It is headquartered in Kathmandu, Nepal. The business interest of Chaudhary Group is multifarious and includes fast moving consumer goods, education, hospitality, energy, consumer electronics, biotech, Ayurveda, etc. It comprises 112 companies and 76 brands across the world. The present president of Chaudhary Group is Binod Chaudhary who is the only billionaire in Nepal to have been listed in Forbes magazine.
- Khetan Group: One of the leading Business houses in Nepal, Khetan Group is presently led by Mr Rajendra Khetan who is also the chairman of Laxmi Bank and Primelife Insurance and the President of Nepal Britain Chamber of Commerce and Industries and Everest Insurance among others. Khetan Group has a growing list of ventures and services all over Nepal in the areas of mining, fast moving consumer goods like beverages, foodstuff and service industries like insurance, banking/ financial services, telecommunications, IT, real estate, investments, energy, etc.
- Sharda Group: Sharda Group is one of the largest trading conglomerates in Nepal. It has been providing its services since 1970. After the passage of 4 decades, it has gained the name for its hard work regarding the quality of the products manufactured. Along with it, there is an excellent market network which has enabled it to spread wide. The integrity, dynamism and innovation have made the company trustworthy. It is engaged in the import and export of the wide variety of products like Copper and Brass Scrap, Zinc Ingot, Zinc Dross, M.S. Plates to rice, silk, betel nuts, food products and other miscellaneous items.